The Edakkal Caves in Wayanad, Kerala, are an amazing and must-visit location when it comes to learning about India’s rich history and cultural legacy. These caverns, which are located in the magnificent Western Ghats, offer a distinctive fusion of history, adventure, and beauty that attracts visitors of all kinds. They are not simply about rock formations.
What you need to know about Edakkal Caves Wayanad and reasons to visit there are provided below.
Unveiling the Mysteries of Edakkal Caves
Features of Edakkal Caves
The name Edakkal, which relates to the interesting natural rock structure found here, literally means “a stone in between.” Ancient petroglyphs, some of which are thought to be more than 6,000 years old, are what make these caverns so well-known.
Here’s what makes Edakkal Caves so unique:
- Historical Significance: The ancient carvings and inscriptions inside the caves reflect the civilization that once flourished here.
- Picturesque Views: Set at 1,200 meters above sea level, the Edakkal Caves offer breathtaking views of the lush valleys of Wayanad.
- Adventurous Trek: Reaching the caves involves a thrilling 1.5-kilometer trek, suitable for both beginners and experienced trekkers.
Edakkal Caves Timings and Entry Fee
For those planning a visit, here’s what you need to know:
- Timings: The caves are open from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM, but the ticket counter closes at 1:00 PM.
- Closing Time: The Edakkal Caves remain closed on Mondays.
- Entry Fee: Adults: INR 40, Children: INR 20, Foreign Nationals: INR 100
Trekking to Edakkal Caves: An Experience to Remember
Trekking through the Edakkal Caves is a fascinating and gratifying adventure. The 1.5 kilometers of hiking required to reach the caves often take 45 to 60 minutes. Although it’s a short hike, the trail gives breathtaking views of the surrounding lush greenery, making it a very memorable adventure.
Where to Stay: Experience the Charm of Edakkal Caves Resort
When visiting Edakkal Caves in Wayanad, your trip isn’t complete without a relaxing stay in one of the resorts near the cave. Among the top picks is Lanternstay, a resort in Wayanad that not only offers proximity to the caves but also an unparalleled holiday experience.
Lanternstay: A Perfect Abode in the Lap of Nature
Located amidst the dense tropical rainforest, Lanternstay offers an enchanting escape from the hustle and bustle of city life. With a promise of an unforgettable holiday, here’s what makes Lanternstay an excellent choice:
- Eco-Friendly Retreat: Emphasizing sustainability and ecological conservation, Lanternstay seamlessly blends luxury with nature.
- Outdoor Activities: From bird watching to plantation walks, Lanternstay offers various outdoor activities that complement the adventure of Edakkal Caves trekking.
- Culinary Delights: Enjoy authentic Kerala cuisine prepared with fresh local ingredients.
- Comfortable Stay: Choose from various accommodation options to suit your preferences and budget.
Explore more about Lanternstay at their official website!
Conclusion: Make Edakkal Caves Wayanad Your Next Stop
The Edakkal Caves are more than just another tourist destination; they are a window into India’s illustrious history, an opportunity to commune with nature, and a chance to make priceless memories. The Edakkal Caves have plenty to offer everyone, whether they enjoy history, nature, or adventure.
Why then wait? Make travel arrangements, reserve a room at Lanternstay, and set out to discover the amazing Edakkal Caves Wayanad, a location that promises to be nothing short of exceptional.